Our long road to the perfect dog
We are getting a dog! weeeee!
I ♥ dogs!!! every kind of dog! i also like cats, but sadly i'm allergic to them... and to be honest, i think they are planning to take over the world ;-)
Just in case you are also looking for one here are some facts about our 2 main choices:
- Japanese spitz breed
- Average height is 45 cm.
- Every dog needs of course some physical exercise, some more that others and the Shiba is very moderate on that aspect.
- They are very loyal and protective. This is not necessarily bad BUT they tend to overprotect their owner. We plan on having a baby some day and Shibas are not really good at getting along with children or other dogs. Training obviously helps but instincts are instincts.
- Herding dog, very similar to the Collie but smaller
- Average height is 40 cm.
- Like the Shiba it does not need that much exercise
- It is the 6th smartest dog breed in the world
- As a herding dog it is perfect for families. They tend to be untrusty towards strangers though, but socializing is the key!
- Even though the have a lot of fur, they are not that high maintenance
We decided to get a Sheltie :-)
Of course we thought about getting a dog from the animal shelter, but to be honest, it was very important to us that our first dog should be exactly what we wanted. I think if we decide someday to have another dog, we would get one from the shelter. Maybe we are just overthinking things, but it took us so long to finally get to this point that i'm willing to pay for exactly what we want.